8 Ways to Increase Conversions for your Newsletter Subscriptions
Published: 15 Mar, 2010
Want to build a large newsletter subscription list but don't know where to start?
The speed with which you build your list will depend on the landing page that receives your traffic, its content and the design of this page.
Remember - The primary purpose of the Sign-Up page is to capture the information of your websites' visitors, mainly their name and email address.
This page is created to draw the focus and attention of the visitor by applying action to one thing; subscribing to your newsletter for more information. Once they are on your newsletter list you will have the ability to follow up with them at a later date.
Factors necessary for creating a high conversion Sign-Up page for building a list of subscribers.
- Direct traffic from your most visited page (most probably your homepage) to your Sign-Up page. A large button or link to grab your visitors' attention will do nicely.
- The heading is the most important as it is the first contact point with your website's visitors. This is where you must captivate them with an attention grabbing headline which will compel them to continue reading your text.
- Benefit driven words are needed in your heading because your prospect will want to know how they are going to benefit. In other words, they want to know, what's in it for them?
- The body text is important because this is where you compel your website visitors to subscribe for more information; reveal to them how the product or service you offer can satisfy a need or desire such as help them make more money or become more successful.
- The Sign-Up page should not be lengthy so focus on the top three to five things your target market is looking for. Remember to use bullets and short sentences.
- The Subscription Form should be simple and easy to fill in. Typically the form should capture the prospects Name (First and Last), Email Address, Company and Contact Number. Limit the number of choices your prospective customer or subscriber can make. If you have multiple subscription choices simplify their choices and reduce confusion. This will help prevent them from changing their mind and leaving your website.
- Increase your conversion rate by having action phrases on your submit button. Instead of using the word 'Submit' or 'Subscribe', use a phrase that will express how your visitors will benefit if they click on the button e.g. 'Send me free web design tips now!'.
- After implementing the above ask around regarding the fonts and colours used. Ensure that basic web design principles are followed and the web page is attractive to your eyes. If you find your eyes are not following the text naturally or squint while reading, you may have to make some adjustments to your web page.
Put to action the advice you've received from this article, actively promote your Sign-Up page and you will see a noticeable increase in the number of subscriptions you receive to your list.